Our second-year Master of Urban and Regional Planning students showcased their practice-oriented exit projects at MURP Capstone Day on March 15, presenting to planning professionals and community members, as well as faculty, alumni, and fellow students, who provided constructive questions, feedback, and suggestions.
Community Practicum projects involve group work which includes site studies and community interviews to analyze social, economic and physical conditions of designated neighborhood areas in the City of Costa Mesa. Throughout the process, the students interact with stakeholders to understand opportunities and constraints and develop planning and policy recommendations for the area.
Professional Report students present research, methods, and findings on their individual planning project for a public, private, or community organization. This year’s report topics include:
- Nourish Your Hood: Feeding South Central’s Unhoused, Irene Aceituno; Client: Feed South Central; Faculty Advisor: Karna Wong
- Siting Light Rail Systems in Orange County, Jackie C. Apollo; Client: Mott MacDonald; Faculty Advisor: Sarah Catz
- Solutions for Lead Service Lines Replacement in the City of Buffalo, Qi Bing; Client: Veolia North America; Faculty Advisor: Maura Allaire
- Bicycling Lessons Learned from International Students in Groningen, Netherlands, Marco Iniguez; NEURUS Faculty Advisor: Scott Bollens
- Stormwater Design as a Guiding Principle: An Exploration of Stormwater Infrastructure Performance in Orange County, CA, Nathan Lacy; Client: Orange County Public Works, Faculty Advisor: Nicholas Marantz
- Rezoning Escondido: Creating the East Ohio Specific Plan, Diana Lecca; Client: City of Escondido; Faculty Advisor: Ajay Garde
- Addressing Displacement through Ethnic Business Cooperatives, Emily Makini; Client: Leadership for Urban Renewal Network (LURN), Faculty Advisor: Walter Nicholls
- Space for Growth: A Comparative Study of Government Involvement with Urban Gardening in Berlin, DE and Long Beach, CA, Molly Mendoza; NEURUS Faculty Advisor: Scott Bollens
- Student Housing Issues at the University of California, Irvine, Izzak Mireles; Client: Associated Students UCI; Faculty Advisor: Victoria Basolo
- Planning with Nature in the Modern Era, Jordan Wills; Client: Derek Ostensen and Associates; Faculty Advisor: David Feldman
Congratulations to all on a successful and inspiring Capstone Day!