Ph.D. Costs and Financial Support

Students who are admitted into the Ph.D. Program in Urban and Environmental Planning and Policy are offered a commitment of funding support for years 1-5, composed of a combination of teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and fellowships to provide graduate student tuition, most fees*, and a stipend.

View tuition and fees charts at the UCI Registrar’s website.  

Ph.D. in Urban and Environmental Planning and Policy Funding Quick Facts

  • Teaching assistantships are the most common form of support.
  • UCI’s Graduate Division and the School of Social Ecology offer a variety of fellowships for doctoral students at various stages of the program.
  • The school and department may provide supplemental funding for students who have been awarded external fellowships that do not include tuition coverage.
  • Students have opportunities to work as research assistants for faculty with research grants.
Student Support Funding Types 2017-2018
66% Teaching Assistant or Teaching Associate
14% Fellowships (includes department, school, university and external sources)
10% Research Assistantships
10% Other (Includes Leave of Absence, Filing Fee, and Self Funding)

A Few More Financial Details . . .

Nonresident Status 

The School of Social Ecology covers nonresident tuition for the first year in the program. US citizens or Legal Permanent Residents who are not California residents when they enter the program must establish residency prior to the second year. Residency guidelines and procedures are available on the UCI Registrar’s website.

In recent years, UCI’s Graduate Division has covered nonresident tuition in the second, third, and fourth years for international graduate students who are not eligible for California residency status.

After students advance to candidacy (usually in the third or fourth year), they are not assessed nonresident tuition for nine quarters.

* Local Fees

The School of Social Ecology covers local fees in the first year (approximately $260). Students are responsible for local fee payments beginning in their second year.

Summer Support

The department typically provides modest summer funding for its eligible students. Additional funding may be available for specific summer research activities. Students will discuss the options and procedures with the faculty advisor and graduate coordinator. 

Additional links and resources on Ph.D. program costs and funding types

School of Social Ecology Graduate Services - Funding

UCI Graduate Division - Funding

Other Ph.D. Program Pages
Ph.D. Program Home Program Requirements Advising and Placement Admissions Process