Applicants to UCI's Master of Urban and Regional Planning program must have a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from a recognized academic institution with degree standards equivalent to those of the University of California, with a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (waivers for strong candidates with slightly lower GPAs are possible under certain circumstances). We welcome applicants from a wide range of undergraduate disciplines, and planning experience is not required.
The deadline for Fall 2022 priority admissions is January 15, 2022, applications will continue to be accepted on rolling basis until April 15, 2022. Applicants are encouraged to submit their application as soon as possible, as admissions review takes place on a rolling basis.
MURP admission decisions are based on a holistic evaluation of each candidate. No single factor outweighs the others; rather, the committee attempts to arrive at a balanced assessment of academic and professional promise, demonstrated in the application through:
- undergraduate preparation (reflected in transcript final GPA, GPA trajectory, and rigor of courses)
- letters of recommendation
- writing ability and planning interests, from required statements
- professional history and samples of work/writing (not required for application, candidates may opt to submit)
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online through the UCI Graduate Division admissions page. All UCI graduate applications require the following items. Use the detailed directions within the online application and on the Graduate Division website to submit.
Details for MURP applications:
- Transcripts from colleges attended - Required for all applicants. review Grad Division transcript procedures.
- Statement of Purpose - Required for all applicants.This essay should focus on your academic, professional, and/or research experiences and interests. The admissions committee will review this statement to evaluate your preparation for a professional planning degree program. This statement should include information about your academic plans and research interests, relevant experience, future career goals, and why the UCI MURP program would be a good intellectual fit for you. (1200 word maximum)
- Personal History Statement - Required for all applicants. This essay should focus on your personal background, and can include information on your life experience and history which motivates your personal and professional goals. We welcome information on how you have contributed to, and/or plan to contribute to, diversity, equity and inclusion within our program and the planning profession. (1200 word maximum)
- Three letters of recommendation – Required for all applicants. Our program welcomes letters from both academics and professionals, but we strongly recommend submission of at least one academic recommendation letter. Detailed information about submission process is given in the online application, and on the Graduate Division's Letters of Recommendation web page. Please note that all letters of recommendation must be submitted electronically.
- Application fees - Required for all applicants. Review Grad Division Application Fees page. Your application can not be processed for review until fee is paid. Fee waivers are available; learn more about eligibility and requirements.
After submitting the application fee, your application will be processed and you will receive email confirmation.
International students should refer to the Graduate Division International Students pages for the specific requirements of their application, including fees, verification of academic qualifications and English language proficiency testing.
Application Period (for Fall 2022 Enrollment):
October 1, 2021 - January 15, 2022 for priority consideration.
After this date, applications will be accepted and considered on a rolling basis until April 15, 2022.
National Deadline for Statement of Intent to Register (SIR): April 15
Prospective Student Events
Prospective students who are interested in learning more about the MURP program can join us for upcoming MURP Information Sessions. Please see session offerings below and click on the registration link for the Information Session you are interested in attending.
MURP Information Session at UCI's Virtual Open House
Tuesday, November 3, 2021
1:00pm to 2:00pm
MURP Information Session
Thursday, November 18, 2021
6:00pm to 7:00pm
View additional upcoming opportunities to meet admissions representatives, learn how to prepare your application materials, attend campus tours, and upcoming graduate school fairs. Please note that most admissions events occur during the Fall application season.
Assistant Director of Graduate Student Affairs
School of Social Ecology
If you have technical difficulties or receive an error message while trying to complete the online application, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 949-824-6363.